Witches are supernatural beings that possesses magical powers. By connecting themselves with the elements and forces of nature; witches uphold their sacred duty as the Servants of Nature to maintain balance within the world and combat the forces that disrupt the balance.
Their blood is better than human blood but is harder to oibtain. If one is turned into a vampire by a witch (more powerfull if they use expression to its full extent, all 36 sacrifices) they are more powerful than others and if while in transition they drink witches blood they’ll gain abilities.
Witches are originally from atlantis, and are most known for creating a powerful weapon that is able to take away all immortality. The pedrometis is an acurence that strengthens a witches powers.
Witches lived in Atlantis for thousands of years. they split themselvs into five seperate groups and focussed on that specific skill. they were a living society, with 3 different religions, bogda(ancestors) kaliah(one true god) and kadisiah(one-self) each one looked down apon the other and ended in a war which is why there are so few witches around today - plus when your a witch and 'make love' to a human your children are less likely to be witches. witches used humans as slaves and weapon makers but in the end they gave up(the war). then humans began to carve there own kingdoms and one family betrayed there close reletives so a witch with expression turned tobi but when tobi drank from her blood he lost controle and tore her appart. the others were created with dark magic.
While the origins of witchcraft remains a mystery, witches have existed for many millenia, passing down their knowledge and skills through generations in family lines. They usually wear a pendant made out of either imperial gold to connect them to spirit magic, celestial bronze to connect them to nature magic or Stygian iron to connect them to expression magic 1 out of 1000 witches are rewarded this and even greater 1 in 2000 of those witches get all three.
While primarily solitary practitioners, some witches organize within groups formally known as covens. Covens allow witches to share knowledge and combine forces to enhance their magical strength. A complete coven consists of at least twelve members. It is unknown if covens are common, as only one coven has ever been shown.
Magic, or Witchcraft, is the power to effect change by magical means. Magic can often be split into dark and light, though depending on the situation can also be neutral. Magic is a genetic heredity that connects a witch to the elements and forces of nature in order to practice sorcery.
The witchcraft in twilight consists of several types of magic.
- Innate Magic: A form of magic that taps into the internal resources of the witch. This type of magic is the most convenient and quickest to use, though a witch's energies are limited and can cause pain and discomfort for over-use. Because of this limitation, witches must learn to draw upon external sources of power to not tax upon their own abilities and therefore can only cast minor spells. As a witch's power grows with training and experience, they are able to perform more powerful feats of magic.
- Channeling Magic: A form of magic that involves utilizing the energies of the surrounding elements and celestial events. This magic is similar to spirit magic, however channeling usually taps into the power on Earth. Channeling magic can also allow a witch to tap into the power of another witch, however some sort of conduit (e.g. personal item) or connection (e.g. bloodline) is usually required to focus the specific energies.
- Spirit Magic: A form of magic that calls upon the aid of spirits. It is commonly used amongst the witches in the series as it is considered a major source for witchcraft. Since witches are the servants of nature and their purpose is to maintain the balance, they use the power that the spirits provide by calling out for them.
- Dark Magic: A form of magic draws upon malevolent powers and is fueled by the darkest aspects of witches themselves such as negative emotions and temptation. This magic is extremely powerful, seductive, and addictive as it has no boundaries. Despite it's free use, it defies the authority of the Spirits of Nature and though the spirits themselves cannot stop use, witches can be severely punished. alev once practiced dark magic but was unpunished (though lost her magic later for abandoning her diasi), whilst her daughter was and became fearful of all magic in general.
- Expression: An unnatural form of magic that involves channeling the souls of dead humans-plus demons and other witches (optional)- and releases darkness that cannot exist on Earth without corrupting and destroying it. Expression is considered extremely dark, perhaps more so than dark magic. Because of it's horrible nature, many witches do not even consider it to be magic.
Powers & Abilities
By tapping into supernatural and elemental forces, witches possess a host of magical abilities. With experience and adequate training in witchcraft, these powers will grow stronger.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence.
- Channeling: The act of channeling or drawing other forms of energy and power by focusing on celestial events.
- Conjuration: The act of calling, commanding, or summoning an element, object, person, or spirit already in existence.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elements of air, earth, fire and water.
- Mind Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the minds of humans. (Similar to Compulsion)
- Mind Stunning: The act of bemusing and rendering someone unconscious.
- Pain Infliction: The act of creating and inflicting excruciating pain upon another person, especially vampires.
- Precognition: The act of foreseeing future events and happenings.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Potion-making: The act of brewing and concocting supernatural elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
- Manipulation Immunity: The act of resisting forms of supernatural manipulation.
- Longevity: The act of temporarily extending one's lifespan.
One of the major sources of power for witches originates from the Earth, which is considered the purest form of magic. Witches are naturally attuned to Nature allowing them to “literally” feel the Earth. In addition, witches can also channel energy from the elements.
Colloquially known as the Spirits of Nature, spirits are highly involved in the activities of witches. Spirits often commune and aid witches in their rituals and spells. Being the conscience of Nature, they establish the sacred laws and guidelines of witchcraft. While many witches are faithful servants of these spirits, some witches defy their laws and are often punished. Spirits can also be channeled as an additional power source in witchcraft.
Witches typically have a natural distaste for vampires as they are commonly perceived amongst their community as abominations. Retrospectively, many vampires, such as angelo, see witches as nothing more than tools to be used to fulfill a vampire's needs, but some vampires, like josh, hold witches in high esteem and respect them.
Though witches and werewolves have very little interaction, they are known to be the oldest of supernatural creatures as both predate the existence of vampires.
Similarly to werewolves, witches are bonded by a code of loyalty to help and protect each other, commonly being regarded as members of an “extended family”. However, some witches disregard this bond and act solely for their own personal gain.
- Fear: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the condition or feeling of being afraid could cause a witch to temporarily lose their powers.
- Mortality: Based off the fact that witches are still (more or less) human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.)
- Overuse Of Magic: The excessive use of magic could lead to several ailments such as nosebleeds, headaches, fainting and in extreme cases death.
- Vampirism: Becoming a vampire will cause a witch to lose all magical ability.